Friday, June 22, 2007

Conversation with Deborah Georges

I had a chance to talk to Deborah Georges a few days ago and she filled me in a bit about what happened on her ride.

"I"m fine I guess. I'm recovering," she said. "I was descending into Osage Beach - I was on a descent. I was going very fast down the descent, I was holding a really good line, and I was enjoying it."

Her crew was right behind her and filled her in later on their view.

"I hit a rock or a crack and started wobbling. I flipped over the bicycle and landed on my ride side, I broke 10 ribs on my right side and my right clavicle." She said she landed in a ditch off an embankment on the side of the road.

"I've never had broken ribs before. It's painful, but I have a very high tolerance to pain. I'm more determined than ever to ride solo next year."

In typical cyclist fashion, she showed more concern for her bike than her body. "My bike - thank God - is O.K. There isn't a scratch on it!"

She explained her state of mind before the crash. She was riding solo because her partner had dropped out of the race in Colorado. But because they had registered as a two-person team, she had to still meet the two-person requirements even though she was only one now. Her crew rallied around her and they all made the decision to carry on and attempt to finish on her strengths.

"I had to get to the Indiana time station to stay in the race. I was hustling. I was riding strongly. We were determined to make it."

About the accident she said: "I didn't see it coming. It was unfortunate, especially since I was riding so well. I'm sure I would have made it."

Her entire crew stayed by her at the hospital as she got checked out.

"They wanted me to stay another day, but I was determined to get up and I checked out."

Although originally Deborah and crew wanted to go on to Atlantic City, the van had to be returned to New York and they wouldn't have made it in time. Plus, the nurse on her crew, Kim Kennedy, didn't want her driving all the way to Atlantic City. So she's with family right now on the West Coast.

She has especial words of thanks for her crew. "There was such good karma. In spite of everything that happened, I had a ball! I've already begun raising money for next year."

Hopefully Deborah will be riding for Team Donate Life next year. What a true competitor. Thanks Deb!

No comments: